Saturday, July 3, 2010

Potty Time With Elmo!

So the kiddo all of a sudden hates dirty diapers. She even tries to change her own diapers. She used to not mind sitting in a dirty diaper and fussed when we insisted on changing her. Now, she finds her diapers, opens one, sits on it backward, and then takes her dirty diaper off to give to me or her daddy. Sometimes she will hand us the diaper first, with an accompanying "Ewww, gross." Thanks, kid. Really nice.

So Curly Girly aka Elmo Addict has an Elmo potty that we got her for Christmas, and I figured it was as good a time as any to bust it out and see what happens. Now this thing talks in a creepy Elmo voice in French, Spanish, and English. I'm all for equal language opportunity, but honestly, Elmo speaking things I didn't understand was giving me the heebie jeebies, so my husband tinkered with it and figured out how to make it just creepy in one language that I at least understand.

Curly Girly sometimes sits on it, but usually just to press the button and make it talk. She's much more interested in watching me go to the bathroom. Ewww, gross. I'm not one for putting on Ducky's Potty Show, so it's kind of weird to have another person in there watching me go. Although, she is a very nice audience, and even claps when I flush. *bows* Thank you, thank you, I do 3-4 shows a day so be sure to check me out later, kid.

She seems to understand some basic potty concepts. She can say "pee pee," "poo poo," and "potty." She takes off her own diaper to sit on the potty. She even tries to wipe herself and then bugs me to let her wash her hands afterward. It's totally cute! But she just won't go. She's only one so we have plenty of time though. She even said, "Potty, please!" and then shook the gate for me to let her upstairs to her potty, but when she got up there she pushed the Elmo button a few times and then ran naked into the hallway to torture one of the cats.

So I am actually telling you all of this to tell you that we bought the "Elmo's Potty Time" DVD because I thought it might help her out. It's 45 minutes long, and I think MAYBE 1 minute of that is actually showing a potty. They talk on 123 Sesame Street's outside steps about words for urine and feces. Elmo rides his tricycle around the street and talks about what it feels like to have to go. Then Elmo and another Muppet (Telly maybe? I forget) sing about how it's ok to have accidents when you're learning. Baby Bear talks about how his little sister Curly Bear is potty training. Prairie Dawn has a flashback about buying her big girl underpants (with pianos on them!). So where is the actual potty in potty training?

I was hoping that if Curly Girly saw Elmo sitting on a potty, then maybe she'd want to too. But they only show him on a potty for a few seconds that the beginning, while his dad sings a potty song and then goes in search of air freshener because apparently Elmo reeks. But the rest of the episode it all about the concept of the potty and no instructional potty-ness or how to for the kiddies. No offense, Elmo, but poo to that! (har, har)

There were 2 things I liked about the DVD. 1. A kid says the word "dookie." 2. It was brought to you by the letter P and the number 2! HAHAHAHA!

Anyhow, I just wanted to say that potty training is so much more amusing when Elmo is involved.
-duckyone

No comments:

Post a Comment