Saturday, May 8, 2010

Cover Girl Blast

Thanks to an awesome site called BzzAgent, I get the opportunity to test out all sorts of fun and interesting products. Currently, I'm getting to test out some cosmetics from the Cover Girl Blast collection. I tried them out today, and I have some mixed opinions.

First off, the Shineblast Lip Gloss in shade #840. It's almost a neon pink in the tube, so I was wary. But lo and behold, it goes on with just a hint of pink, which I liked a lot. It also has a touch of glitter, which feels a tiny bit gritty when you apply, but not too bad. It went on easily with the wand applicator, and it was plenty shiny. It also smells like watermelon! It's great if you just want to have shiny lips for a short trip out somewhere, or if you don't mind reapplying. Let me tell you, if they could make their all day stuff look as shiny and awesome as the Shineblast gloss, I think I might dance a jig!

The other item I tried was the Smoky Shadowblast eyeshadow in color #810, Purple Plume. It's a double ended tube, much like lipstick only for your eyes! The first step is a rounded end, and you're supposed to sweep it over your entire eyelid. The first step shade I had was a lavender, and it went on really light. I probably went over my eyes with it 10 times to get it visible. The second shade, a darker brownish-purple, has more of a pointed tip, and is supposed to line your top eyelid and right under the brow bone to create the smoky look. Again, I had to go over it several times to even get it to show. I do have to say, though, the application was easy because the eyeshadow was so creamy!

I added some brown eyeliner and a touch of black mascara to try and make it look decent, because without that it looked a little weird. To me, it did make my eyes have a very nice shape, and made me look a little more alert. Smoky eye? Maybe a little, but not really. It does look better than me just sweeping a quick pass of eyeshadow like I normally do. The shades were so light that it didn't give me that dramatic smoky eye look at all. It's probably a good thing, though- I am not really good at the whole makeup thing and if it were darker, I am sure it would make me look awful when I inevitably manage to mess it up.

I read other reviews on the ShadowBlast and they said that the eyeshadow is too creamy and tends to crease, and that some foundation or primer would prevent that from happening. I put a layer of liquid foundation and then a light powder on my eyelids, and that usually helps keep the color looking nice all day. But not with this! I looked in the mirror after less than 2 hours and I already had heavy creasing! And it took both shades into the creases and made dark clumpy lines across my eyelids. It's a good thing I am wearing my glasses so no one can see the lines!

Overall, I'm pretty well undecided on the Cover Girl Shadowblast. On the one hand, it goes on easily. On the other, it creases really badly. I suppose if I could figure out how to keep it from creasing, I would like it a whole lot better. Also, it does take a lot of passes to make it even look like there is even color there. For the $8 suggested price, I would expect it to go on more sparingly and still look good! As for the Shineblast gloss, I do like it overall- I just wish it would last a little longer!

Have any of you tried these items? What do you think about them?

-duckyone.

1 comment:

  1. Nope, can't say I've tried them. But based on your experience I would skip the eye shadowy stuff but try the lip gloss.

    P.S. Glad to see the bloggy button working now!

    ReplyDelete