Sunday, May 9, 2010

Day of the Mom

Well, it was just Mother's Day, or as I like to call it, "Congrats on having sex and getting knocked up, here's some flowers!" In case you can't tell, I am not a fan of Mother's Day (or Father's Day). It's not that my mom and stepmom aren't awesome in their own mom and stepmom ways- they totally are. I'm just not into people getting rewarded for boinking and procreating. This wasn't even a holiday until about 100 years ago, and before that mommies didn't get their one pampered day a year. And yet, things still went on, ladies went on boinking and reproducing, and their kids still loved them and all that.

Needless to say, the husband and toddler didn't do anything special for me. My husband did mention it yesterday and I was all like, "Don't even bother." He should know by now how I feel about such things. I am not too happy about commercialized holidays and people expecting to get pampered or given gifts or whatever.

Church made a biggish deal out of Mother's Day. The Sunday school kids made presents for their moms. Since my one year old is awesome and loves to sleep, we never actually go to Sunday school, just the service. But still, they made her present to give me for her and I was given a half dead potted plant with a paper fish on a stick stuck in the dirt. It would be positively adorable coming from her. From whichever adult runs the class and made it instead? I'm not really sure what to think.

They also have a children's sermon during the main service, and they usually do stuff with puppets or short stories. Today? They made the little kids hand out roses to all the mommies in the sanctuary. I tried to hide in the back where I wouldn't be seen, but unfortunately the congregation is small enough that everyone knows everyone. My kiddo took the flower right away and snapped the stem off and played with the leaves, and then nearly managed to dump the potted plant all over the pew. Fun times.

So yeah, Happy Mother's Day. Go me for getting knocked up and popping out a kid from my nether regions! Love your mommies the same amount every day. And as for my daughter? She can feel free to skip the flowers and cards, and I promise I won't hold it against her. Her taking an actual nap today was a bigger gift than I could have asked for.

-duckyone

1 comment:

  1. Very well said. I feel pretty much the same, but I do indeed think it was cute that Savannah made a bracelet for me in Sunday School, whether she wanted to give it to me or not.

    There was a woman that practically peppy jumped on me and handed me a little pink bag, and I think I was the only woman in the place that didn't rip into it and devour the chocolates in there. I did eat them when I got home and I got the taste of alcohol from one of them?!?

    And I used the holiday as an excuse to get ice cream since Joe would never normally agree to go down the road to get some. And my car and kitchen got a cleaning from me.

    ReplyDelete